For this week’s post I am going to dig up some ways to enhance your instant ramen. Instant ramen is a delicious, quick and cheap meal that is enjoyed all over the world. After much time spent searching the internet, here are some recipes that I found.

1. I really like what Budget Bytes did with her ramen. She uses “Better Than Bouillon” vegetable base which is a paste that I love to use for my soup broths too. She recommends sautéing garlic and ginger in a pot and then adding veggies, broth, noodles and then more veggies and toppings. I love the idea of added flavour from the garlic and ginger because I just love garlic and ginger. I like the idea of cracking an egg in to the pot and letting it sit for six minutes. The yolky goodness adds an amazing flavour to the soup. I like the choice of veggies too – spinach and mushrooms. To check out the recipe click here. She discards the ramen seasonings, but I think I would add the seasonings that I enjoy in addition to add even more flavour. My favourite is the chicken flavour Ichiban ramen.

2. The Wholesome Dish puts peanut butter in her ramen noodles! YUM! She adds a variety of sauces in a bowl and mixes it with peanut butter and then smothers cooked ramen noodles in the sauce and voilà! She tops it off with green onions and sesame seeds. What a great idea. Check out the recipe here.

3. Cooking Classy created a Thai version of instant ramen. I learned that Tonkotsu style ramen is a ramen broth that uses many layers of flavour such as ginger, garlic and onion, and is the most common ramen broth flavour in Japan. This recipe sautés the veggies and then adds curry paste, water, coconut milk and fish sauce. In combination with the noodles and the ramen seasonings, I again would use chicken Ichiban, AND the toppings which are cilantro, lime wedges and peanuts… OMG! My tastebuds are tingling with excitement. For this genius recipe click here.

4. I then googled “trending ramen recipes” and landed upon iamafoodblog.com‘s Tiktok ramen. What is Tiktok ramen?! Tiktok ramen, apparently, is ramen without broth. Wait… without broth?! Apparently this is a TREND! But broth is delicious! And leaves you feeling full so will have you eating less calories! But… this does look pretty darn good! I also can’t help but notice that all the food blogs posts on ramen noodles mention not over cooking the noodles. The sauce uses butter, garlic, red pepper, brown sugar and soy sauce. The sauce is smothered over ramen noodles, cooked just below al dente, and then cooked with scrambled egg. To serve, they recommend adding everything bagel spice and scallions. YUMMMMM. Click here for this sweet and savoury recipe.

5. Okay so now that we are in the realm of internet trends… I found out that Kewpie Mayo Ramen is big time trending right now in the food blog scene. I also learned that this is trending on TikTok. I guess ramen is really trendy on TikTok right now. Who knew! For this recipe you are adding raw egg and kewpie mayo. What is Kewpie Mayo? I searched on Youtube for a review between Hellman’s Mayo and Kewpie Mayo and sure enough there was one. Apparently Kewpie Mayo has MSG in it. I love mayo but watching this made me feel a bit queasy. The Kewpie mayo is more eggy and has a malt vinegar flavour to it.

Back to the Kewpie Ramen. Christie at Home mixes garlic, kewpie mayo, raw egg and instant ramen seasoning (whatever flavour packet you prefer, she prefers spicy ramen). She then adds the mixture to her pot of ramen noodles and boiling water and mixes. To check out this ramen hack click here.

6. I think this miso based ramen recipe might take home the cake. This recipe uses a lot of ingredients from Trader Joe’s, which is a grocery store in the USA that is known for their affordable organic food. Kind of an oxymoron here in Canada. Regardless, back to the dish. Do I see bacon in there?! Searing the the bok choy gives it that delicious smokey flavour. I also love the idea of using brown rice noodles… that ups the fibre! Not only is this dish pleasing for the tastebuds, it’s also eye candy. Or should I say eye ramen? I get so excited about adding chilli paste because I love spice. As I like to say, spice makes your taste buds dance!

7. Last but DEFINITELY not least, is my boyfriend’s delicious recipe. We love eating this for lunch a couple times a week or if we’re having a lazy weekend afternoon. Buldak Ramen has a variety of flavours but my favourite is cheese flavour. Jordan, my boyfriend, boils the ramen noodles, not too much, and then drains them. We then add about 1/2 cup of cream cheese to the ramen noodles, the cheese packet and 1/10th of the hot sauce that comes with the package, and bread crumbs to add some crunch. He insists on Philadelphia brand cream cheese, but I don’t care what brand! I just love cream cheese, it is so creamy and salty and smooth. I am a huge cheese person so the cream cheese with the cheese flavour from Buldak is just amazing. I really like the texture of Buldak’s noodles, in combination with cheeziness, spice and crunch, it’s just perfect! We love to eat this together and call it “spicy noods.”