This week, we learned how to make photos and videos more accessible to people with diversities. Below is a photo with alternative text so that people that have difficulties with vision can hear what the photo is about if they have a tool that reads the information for them.

Accessible Photos
Photo of 5 blocks with the letters T, E, A, C and H on each block. The blocks are on a desk and text books are in the background.
Photo taken from pexels.com

Next we learned how to fix closed captions of youtube videos if the closed captions don’t accurately match up with the words being spoken.

In this video, it was admittedly hard to pay attention to the closed captions… the icing was soooo delicious looking! The closed captions were actually spot on! But it is so helpful to know how to modify the closed captions if Youtube makes errors so that the closed captions are understandable for people who have hearing difficulties.

In this youtube video I learned how to make educational videos more accessible with H5TP tool. I enjoyed learning how to make things more accessible for students! I am excited to learn even more about how to make my lessons and classroom friendly for neurodiverse learners.

When I think of the “why” for accessible tech, the answer is obvious to me. It is so important to make everyone feel included! Why wouldn’t you? With 20% of the population labeled as “disabled” and, according to a stat on statista, 95.6% of the Canadian population using the internet, that means that, to me, all website content should be designed in an accessible way for all users. This percentage is expect to grow to 99.1% by 2026!!! If we don’t make online information accessible to all, that’s a huge chunk of people that are missing out on the ability to access information! In addition, if the way we present information is accessible for neurodiverse learners, it in no way harms learning for neurotypical learners at all, so why wouldn’t we put in that extra effort to design our lessons as teachers so that everyone has a chance at learning?